Monday, May 28, 2018

Vitamin C and Dystonia

Vitamin C is an antioxidant.  I had been taking half a gram with meals, way more than the RDA, but I can use an antioxidant.  Then I had a cold, a rotten cold.  So I tried taking more Vitamin C - 1.8 grams with every meal and then 1.8 grams before bed.

Vitamin C is quickly excreted, so you need to take it throughout the day.  Not in a big lump.

Well, it did nothing for my cold, but there was an unexpected but pleasant surprise:  the dystonia in my right foot that wakes me around 3 AM disappeared.  I tried this for a full week - no dystonia!  The one problem with the Vitamin C (technically ascorbic acid), is that when I take a higher dose, I get rather loose, ahem, stools.

So I've been dialing back and experimenting.  The usual half gram dose with meals but 1.8 grams at bedtime?  We'll see.  So far, so good.

Image from Pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Great tools to use during the Pandemic

Some organizations have stepped up for pwp who have lost socialization, and usually exercise programs and support groups.  Even for those ex...