Thursday, April 18, 2019

Textured insoles for balance? Will these improve my PD?

A few months ago, I read about textured insoles that are supposed to help you be more aware of your proprioception (your sense of where your extremities are and how they're moving), and thus improve your gait (how you walk) and your balance.  They're a bit pricey ($50), but I'm open to trying out what might help, so I ordered some. You can cut them to precisely fit your feet.   http://nabosotechnology.com/proprioceptiveinsoles

I wore them sometimes to Physical Therapy where I walk a lot and really get put through my paces, and around the house.  For weeks.  They seem to help me take a sharp corner (going around furniture at home).  Otherwise, I haven't seen a benefit.

What does the research say? A meta-analysis published in early 2017 found that:
"Textured/Stimulating insoles had no significant effects on variables of gait and balance,"
and the quality of the studies available was inadequate. (A meta-analysis reviews available research studies, evaluates how well the studies are done, and evaluates what the studies show.)  I've read many studies of these insoles that said, basically, textured insoles seem to help, or it's possible they help. (I believe the expression is, Damned by faint praise.)  At the same time, the studies had few research subjects and similar problems.  So I guess I am not too surprised by this meta-analysis, which I discovered after I purchased the insoles:    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0966636216306099

I wore the insoles, increasing the time gradually, as they kind of poke into your feet.  Weeks later, I was still feeling poked, which I guess they are supposed to do.  But did they lengthen my stride?  No.  Did they improve my balance?  No.  Did they improve my gait?  At all?  No.

Now, I've seen videos that seem to show miraculous improvements from using these insoles - a woman barely able to walk starts to wear these insoles and then is able to run.  Too good to be true?  I doubted I'd see a miracle in my own case because the research studies were underwhelming.  I hoped I'd see some improvement.  But all I have is sore feet.

Images from the websites above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Great tools to use during the Pandemic

Some organizations have stepped up for pwp who have lost socialization, and usually exercise programs and support groups.  Even for those ex...