Monday, May 14, 2018

Bulletproof coffee adventures - does ketogenic diet help PD?

There are members of the PD community who are convinced that following a ketogenic diet will slow progression.  I had my doubts, but figured, "I can try it and see what happens, right?"  After all, so much of dealing with PD is experimenting to find out what works.

I decided to start small, with Bulletproof Coffee, basically hot coffee/tea/water with lots of fat in it.  The first time I tried it, there wasn't enough fat (probably 2 tablespoons).  I got a wicked headache and sudden low blood sugar.


  • A week later, I tried it with 2 tablespoons Kerrygold Butter + 2 tablespoons coconut oil.  I added stevia for sweetener.  No headache, and I could exercise without having my blood sugar crash.  Maybe possibilities?


The good:

  • Mr. Dystonia didn't come to call at 4 AM for 4 nights.  Lovely.  


The bad and the ugly:

  • 3+ days of diarrhea - my gut does not like all that fat
  • Loss of appetite.  Sorry, trying to maintain weight, which has become a little too easy to lose now.  Nothing appeals so I have to force myself to eat veggies and fruits.  I eat a few bites and I feel full.  This lasts 4 days.
  • The worst part - my balance feels worse (balance is my main problem, not tremor).  Slowly it seems to be improving - fingers double crossed.  My head just feels wrong, heavy.  I fell spontaneously in front of a classroom of students.  Not good.  I'm using my cane indoors when I've been able to do without it for months indoors unless the halls are full of kids who could tip me over without thinking.
I know the diarrhea and appetite loss are the result of diet. My balance is also likely from this, too, since the problems started the day after the Bulletproof, and they seem to be receding (please, please, please).

I really liked being without dystonia, because it wakes me, but the balance is a non-negotiable.  Falling was what made me face my PD; it got me to stop making excuses and see my doctor.  Through diligent effort - Rock Steady, physical therapy, special balance exercises, long sessions on the treadmill working on my gait - I've improved my balance.   Slowly I've gotten it back.

We're all different, pwp, so what didn't work for me might be fine for somebody else. But this is one experiment I'm not trying again.

Image from Pixabay.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Great tools to use during the Pandemic

Some organizations have stepped up for pwp who have lost socialization, and usually exercise programs and support groups.  Even for those ex...