Monday, March 5, 2018

Feelings about finding "the cure"

Since my mom was diagnosed with PD about 30 years ago, I've been hearing "the cure is right around the corner" for a long time.  Turns out that it's hard to know what causes PD, so the "cure" is more elusive.

But I keep track of lots of PD research, so I know just how broadly the research is done, and how worldwide it is.  We know now that PD can have a genetic component; at the time, Mom and her brother both having PD was just an accident, or maybe something in their environment.  Besides that, nobody knew then that vigorous exercise could have such a profound effect on the disease. 

Like many of us, I scour forums and research reports for tantalizing possibilities, but more for what slows progression and what makes life easier right now - because that's where I live, in the now.

One gift that PD has given me is the ability to live today, to not waste time on the past, and not to worry about the future.  Yes, I've looked into the paperwork for a personal health care representative, and I know what extreme treatments I don't want, and when I am going to say, definitely DNR (Do Not Resuscitate).  Yes, I know that with all the exercise, I am still likely to get worse.  If there is a treatment that works for me - great!  But right now, I am enjoying that I can cook, read, weave, teach, enjoy the outdoors.

In terms of that elusive "cure," maybe I've become Scarlett O'Hara and, "I'll think about that tomorrow."  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Great tools to use during the Pandemic

Some organizations have stepped up for pwp who have lost socialization, and usually exercise programs and support groups.  Even for those ex...