Monday, April 16, 2018

My real job - exercise

Since I was the original "couch potato," it's amazing how much I exercise.  But once you get into the habit it's hard to quit.  Since exercise seems to be neuro-protective and may slow PD progression, this getting into the habit is a win-win. 

Typical day:

30 minutes on the treadmill working on stride and gait.  I also try to push myself cardio-wise, but since my right foot isn't quite cooperative, I don't try to be too speedy.  I've created a channel on Pandora that's mostly the right tempo (originally used it for boxing practice).  I can hear if I'm stepping heel-toe and if I start dragging my feet.  My wonderful husband set up an old computer and monitor so that I can watch videos (youtube has lots of videos that work with treadmills).  I'm always dealing with a little cognitive dissonance - I would not be able to walk down the rim trail on the Grand Canyon which is very bumpy - but the difference between what I see and what I feel forces me to focus, so it's a good thing.  Not boring at all, thanks to the videos.  My stride is longer and stronger, and I find that I'm leaving my cane places because I forget it!

Unless I have boxing, 30 minutes on the NuStep, an elliptical, but a recumbent elliptical, so it's not hard on your knees.  I used this in my old gym and love it.  I can see the youtube videos from the NuStep so I'm not bored.  I can just use my feet, just use my arms, or use both.  This is my serious cardio workout for the day.  Pricey but worth every dime.

Voice and swallow exercises 2-3 times a day, usually in the car.  Why the car?  Because the voice exercises make my dog howl (maybe he thinks I'm in pain).

Leg strengthening exercises like squats that I got from my PT.  I do these throughout the day, when I'm waiting for the dog to pee, brushing my teeth, and so on.

Balance that includes some Tai Chi - 3-4 times a week.  I have a DVD (Jane Adams - Balance & Strength Exercises for Seniors).

Rock Steady Boxing - 3 times a week.  This is exercise, support, friendship, and sweat.  Favorite times of the week.

When I stop work in June, I hope to add dance, maybe a Tai Chi class, maybe a water movements class.

NuStep image from Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Great tools to use during the Pandemic

Some organizations have stepped up for pwp who have lost socialization, and usually exercise programs and support groups.  Even for those ex...