Monday, August 13, 2018

Driving with Parkinson's

It's ugly.  One woman posts on a forum that she can only brake if she pushes her leg against the side of the console between the two front seats; should she be driving, she wonders.  For the sake of other people, and herself, I hope she does not.

We lose capabilities over time with PD - sometimes muscular strength (so we can brake in an emergency), sometimes flexibility (so we can turn around to back up safely, and can move our foot from accelerator to brake).  And then there is my personal favorite, multi-tasking (so we can keep track of everything happening around us, keep the car in our lane, keep track of traffic signals, keep track of cars pulling in...)

If we're smart we recognize that some kinds of driving are too challenging, and don't do them - maybe stop driving at night, or when the traffic is heavy, or on highways.  We all know what has become harder.

Many days, for me, getting in and out is the hardest.  Yes, I've practiced pivoting in a chair, but that doesn't have the d**n door in the way! 

AARP has a Safe Driver Course, available to anyone, but less expensive for members; you can take it in person or online. https://www.aarpdriversafety.org/   Although it's oriented to older folks (and though I sure don't feel old, I am one of those older folks), it also looks at disability and the decision to continue driving.

Here's what they cover:
The AARP Smart Driver online course covers:
  • Research-based safe driving strategies.
  • Information on the effects of medication on driving.
  • Preventive measures to reduce driver distractions.
  • Proper use of safety belts, air bags, anti-lock brakes, and new technology found in cars today.
  • Techniques for handling left turns, right-of-way, and roundabouts.
  • State-specific rules and regulations in 19 key areas, including construction zones, child safety seats, school buses, cellphone use and more.
  • Easy-to-follow format incorporating adult-learning principles.
I recently took the course.  I've taken it before (it changes regularly, so much of the course was new).  I wanted strategies that would help me be a safer driver, which was part of the focus of the course.  I've recently retired, so no longer have to drive in snow or sleet  - that means I can avoid driving in challenging weather - hallelujah!  I already avoid night driving and heavy traffic.  Highway driving is exhausting, so I avoid that, too.  I spend time plotting alternate routes so I can avoid challenges.

My husband does the highway driving for us.  I looked into the local Dial-a-Ride, and I've installed the Uber app on my phone, just in case I need it - not cheap, but neither is an accident.  The AARP course also helped me see how much the car is costing (repairs, gas, insurance, taxes...), which makes the alternatives look less expensive.

Each pwp is different.  Some can drive anywhere, any time.   Some can't.  Some will never have to give up driving, but some of us will. We all need to look at this - all of us.

Image from Pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Great tools to use during the Pandemic

Some organizations have stepped up for pwp who have lost socialization, and usually exercise programs and support groups.  Even for those ex...