Saturday, April 13, 2019

What I'm trying now... Qigong

I've been exploring Qigong (chi-GUNG), which is related to Tai Chi, and which I've learned about from my Tai Chi teacher.  Since my teacher has been ill, I've been pursuing this on my own, via books and online courses, as well as continuing what I learned in class.



This exploration lead me to Bianca Molle, who seems to have beat back PD by spending three hours a day doing Qigong; she used DVDs from Mington Gu who now has online courses at  The Chi Center.     I took his online class for some time, but, frankly, it moved too slowly for me after awhile. 

Then I looked into what Bruce Frantzis has to offer, as he has some really well-thought of books and courses.  I have been reading his book about Dragon and Tiger Qigong (which is Qigong specially designed for healing).  I learn physical things by watching and following along, so I have been taking an online course from one of his students, Bill Ryan; this has been enormously helpful for helping me learn the Dragon and Tiger form, combined with the book. Also recently have returned to Dr. Paul Lam's DVD/download Tai Chi classes.  While the Qigong leaves me feeling refreshed, it doesn't do much to challenge my balance, and the Tai Chi provides that.

Right now, I spend 30-45 minutes a day working on my practice.  Practice has multiple meanings, including - to repetitively work on something to get better at it.

The Davis Finney Foundation funded research that evaluated many existing studies (called a meta-study) and found that Tai Chi and Qigong do help PD symptoms. 

I've been doing  a variety of Qigong practices for about 6 months.  I've noticed an improvement in non-motor symptoms:  urinary urge is less, sleeping better (able to return to sleep more quickly), small motor skills like typing and writing have improved a little.  Dry eyes are a bit better, too.  Cognition is a bit better - less problems with word-finding (long may that last).  On the other hand, rigidity and slowness are the same, as is blood pressure (too low).  The one thing that's not getting better that I really want to improve, still, is balance - trouble with stairs and curbs, lurching like a drunk.  Grrrrrr.  Still, there are brief times (under a minute) when my walking is normal, which hasn't ever happened, so I'm keeping an eye on this.

Lam and Frantzis images from Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Great tools to use during the Pandemic

Some organizations have stepped up for pwp who have lost socialization, and usually exercise programs and support groups.  Even for those ex...